Sunday, January 08, 2006

Snowmass, the Perma-Asshole, and a Love for Explosives

It's been a little while since my last skiing update so here goes... Keith left last Monday, we had a huge dump on Tuesday and since then it has been nothing but sun up to today. On Wednesday Emilie Lytton, a friend from Danforth 3, called me. I had seen her at the D-Court Christmas party and she said that she would be out in Aspen over break. We met on Thursday at the base of Ajax and skied together for the rest of the the day. Also, Tim and some of my other friends from high school had shown up in Snowmass. Emilie and I headed over to Tim's place that night and hung out, and played an intense game of Presidents and Assholes. I as usual was the perma-asshole. I really have no luck with that game.

On Friday I skied Snowmass for the first time this season. I met up with Tim and briefly skied with Emilie and Chris Allen. I had a terrific fall that day too. I was careening down a steep run and hit a ridge over which I had no idea what was on the other side. I got massive air and landed in a mogul field. I almost stuck it until I hit a big bump which sent my skies in opposite directions. I lost my right ski and slammed my head against the ground. All I can say is thank god for helmets. Tim said he came over the ridge and all he could see was a giant puff of powder.

Today was Tim's last day here so we all went over to Snowmass. It was by far the coldest day, plus the snow started to come down really heavy. I only got to ski for about three hours before my hands we in so much pain that I couldn't stay out any longer. To give you some idea of how hard it was coming down, the parking lot on the drive in was exposed asphalt, on our way out I was able to ski up to the car.

When we got back to Aspen, after driving at about 15 miles per hour through the blizzard, I grabbed a meatloaf sandwich and walked around town snapping some pictures. Here are a few of 'em:





2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How dare you post pictures of more snow.

1/09/2006 4:51 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

Don't whine, you'll be back in a few days.

1/09/2006 9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home