Thursday, August 04, 2005

Broke B and The Worst Company Ever

So today I decided to take the MGB to get my cell phone "fixed." I made it there fine. I gave the Verizon people my phone and they told me they would update the software in 45 minutes. They said the out of date software was probably the source of my reception problems. I knew it was bullshit, but I needed to let them fail so that I had some leverage later. It's kinda like when the Dell tech guys tell you to reinstall windows when you really know you were just given a bad drive. They like to try the software before they fork over any cash for the hardware.

The real drama started on my way back. I was stopped at the stoplight between Shawnee Mission Parkway an Belinder. I was just sitting there and the whole car shut off. Like no battery power...as if I had turned off the ignition. Next thing I know the light is green and my ignition is dead. For some reason my hazard lights did turn on though. Luckily, I was on a steep enough hill that I could slowly roll down Belinder. So I pull off to the side only to realize that I have no cell phone. HA!

I hit the ignition again. this time I hear that obnoxious electric fuel pump noise. That is the first time I have ever been happy to hear that thing. I crank it and it sounds like it wants to start. A little rumble and then nothing. I shut it off and tried again. No good. It didn't want to start.

Plan B, find a phone. Looking around, I didn't feel like going up to a private residence so I went to the closest business I could find. There is this little office building on the corner that at one time was a bank and now is a office for a construction company. I wish I had gone further...In the middle of the day on Thursday one guy is working and has the door dead bolted. He came to the door acting as if I had just ruined his day. He, hesitantly, let me use the phone. I have never met someone so curt in my life.

Anyway, the only number I knew off the top of my head was my Mom's cell number. (My parents are in DC for the weekend so I couldn't call home.) I got them, luckily, and my Dad gave me the number of our mechanic, Craig. I called him and he said he could pick me up with his trailer in 30 minutes. I told Mr. Office Man thanks and sat out in the heat waiting for a tow.

Craig showed up after an hour, and of course now the car decides to start. I had tried it five minutes earlier. So Craig follows me home with no problems.

I leave the B in the Drive and take the Benz to pick up my cell. That goes fine. I refuse to look at the phone till I get back home, because I know full well they didn't fix shit.

When I got home the wind had started to pick up and it looked like it could storm pretty bad, so I open the garage to put the B away. I hop in the car and pop the key in the ignition. Guess what....NO POWER. I pushed the fucking thing in by myself.

I headed inside to finally embrace the air-conditioning and try my cell phone. Sure enough the first call I try lost its signal. Oh happy day!



This picture was taken tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home