Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Ceramic Brakes, Dune Buggies, and Blue Birds

I was watching Top Gear tonight on Discovery Channel and they were reviewing the Mercedes McLaren. The coolest part of the review if you can believe it was when they talked about the brakes. Not only can they beat the minimum safety distance from 60-0 while going from 120-0, they are also have this new form of ceramic rotor. Under heavy breaking conditions they glow bright red...

There is nothing cooler than that.

For those who have not seen Top Gear you are truly missing out. It is one of the funniest, most original car programs I've ever seen. On this program the three hosts were given 1,200 pounds ($3,000ish) each to purchase a Porche. They showed up in an hideous trio of mid 80's clunkers. they then had to take their cars through a series of ridiculous challenges. These included a 70 mile drive, a concourse, a personal add including their car (testing the no. of responses,) longest skid line, fastest lap, and finally they had to sell it. One of the hosts ended up just parting his 944 out, another couldn't sell his at all.

Dune Buggies: my new love. I bring this up again because today I got the three buggy books I ordered. They are going to teach me how to build one. I'm living the dream...

And last...more bird pictures. Yesterday I went back down to the West Bottoms for another shoot. Enjoy...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting, the synergy taking place here. Apparently Michael has not yet figured out that old Porsche engines make the best engines for dune buggies. Not only are they designed for rear-engine cars, but are also air-cooled, allowing for fewer working parts and a more simplistic design.

8/04/2005 11:48 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

I wonder how expensive those ceramic brakes are...maybe I could throw a pair of those on the buggy as well.

8/04/2005 11:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If they are too expensive, you could aways go with the LED valve caps.

8/05/2005 5:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home